POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A question of pure mathematics : A question of pure mathematics Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  A question of pure mathematics
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Nov 2007 08:40:02
Message: <47419232@news.povray.org>
Can somebody who knows what they're talking about confirm this?

If I'm understanding this right, if I can find a complete set of
orthogonal functions, I should be able to construct any possible
function as a linear combination of them.

For example, the Fourier transform allows you to construct any function
from sine and cosine functions. (On the other hand, except in the
discrete case, you might need an infinite set of these functions to make
an exact reconstruction... but the discrete case is the one that really
interests me.)

If I'm not mistaken, "orthogonal" means that one function can't be
constructed from the others (so there's no duplication of
"information"), and "complete" just means you've got all the functions
you need.

So, like, how do you tell if two functions are orthogonal? And how do
you tell when a set of them is complete?